Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Project get me pregnant...a new chapter begins!!

True story...I go to meet my new Dr. for the first time today regarding my infertility issues, and I come out with a prescription for birth control pills! Seems counterproductive, but I can explain. :)
It all started around 11:00 this morning...
Dr. Hintz was recommended to my by my friend Wendy, and he seems just as good as she says he is.
The first thing he did was review my charts from my previous doctor, and ask a bunch of questions. He said he wasn't impressed with my blood sugar levels from my previous blood draw. I have been taking Metformin for that since February, but he bumped my dosage up to three times a day. Kinda makes me feel yucky, but I hope it will all be worth it. He also wants me to come and get a fasting glucose level done some morning in the next week or two to check and see if the Metformin is doing it's job, since we don't really know if it is or not.
He also wasn't a big fan in the fact that my previous doctor didn't provide much monitoring. I love that he doesn't mess around!
The game plan is to take the birth control pills continuously for 6 weeks, basically putting my ovaries to sleep. There are two benefits to this. One, it lowers the testosterone in my system. Two, it calms the ovaries down, so when we hit them with the fertility medicine again, they can go crazy. :)
After the 6 weeks of birth control, he wants me to try Femara again, but doubling the dosage, and having an ultrasound day 11 or so of my cycle to see if it's working. I questioned why he would want me to take medicine again that didn't do it's job the first time, but he said he has no way of knowing how I responded to it, and if it made me ovulate or not since I wasn't really monitored. If it is working, we'll try it for a month ot two. If it's not working, we'll go on to trying Clomid, still with monitoring to make sure it's doing what it is supposed to. If that doesn't work, we will try some injectables (really hoping it doesn't come to this) to get me to ovulate. In addition to that, if fertility meds don't work again it might come to inter-uterine insemination, or an IUI. It's just what it sounds like, where they take the sperm and put it directly into the uterus, so it doesn't have to work so hard.
Because we got pregnant once, he doesn't think it's a sperm issue with Brent, nor does he think my tubes are blocked. Those are things we will definitely check out if this plan doesn't work. He thinks my hormones are off, and while I may be having all the signs of ovulation, I may not acutually be doing so.
I have to say, I think this Dr. might do the trick. I'm really praying on it. Not only is his first name Brent, but the street that his office is on is Dale street, and I live on Dale Drive. Tell me it's not meant to be?
My journey to motherhood began in October 2008, and is still unfinished. Hopefully now I will be able to rewrite the story including a happy ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment